Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Jazmin's Notebook by Nikki Grimes

This book is very special. I love to read the diaries and notebooks of people. "Jazmin's Notebook" is really interesting. She doesn't just write about jumping Double Dutch, braiding a friend's hair or going window shopping. Jazmin writes about what really bothers her and what she wishes were different in her life. Jazmin lives in New York with her sister, CeCe. I liked reading about the bond between the two sisters. CeCe becomes a mother to Jazmin although there is only a five year difference in their ages. It just proves that age, sometimes, has nothing to do with maturity. I also loved "Jazmin's Notebook" by Nikki Grimes because Jazmin writes poetry. At the beginning of each chapter is a poem written by Nikki. These poems are really good too. Jazmin doesn't know how to hide her emotions. She's truthful with herself. This helps the pain to seep out of her like air out of a balloon. Afterward, she feels weightless. I won't tell why Jazmin's parents aren't in her life. I'll let Jazmin tell that important part of the story. Nikki Grimes won the Coretta Scott King Award for this book. I am so glad she received the reward. This book is great.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this book too, although it's been a while since I read it. Now I'm going to re-read it!
    http://blackteensread2.blogspot.com/2009/08/first-contest.html I saw that you had an interest in reading A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliott. My blog, Reading in Color, is having a contest for AWAM if you're interested. follow the above link for details :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Tea.... just read your comment about the teacup... I don't know how he comes out of the cup...LOL. On my sidebar he works fine but when I put it in the post when I first one it... he wouldn't come out. Try saving the pic of mine popping out of the cup and try.... maybe that will work.

    Love this blog... I need to connect a young blogger I have been helping to this one. :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete