Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Down The Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrahams

I love the title "Down The Rabbit Hole" by Peter Abrahams. It proved the perfect title because throughout the mystery students and some of the people in the town are practicing a play. The play is "Alice in Wonderland." Ingrid is one of the stars in the play along with Chloe, a girl who just makes Ingrid's stomach turn with nausea. Thank goodness Ingrid can play soccer to get her mind away from all the problems that seem to shoot out of nowhere after she meets up with Cracked-Up Katie. Also, Ingrid's love for Sherlock Holmes comes in handy too. It's not long before murder happens in Echo Falls. I loved the way the mystery tied in with old black and white movies. Barbara Stanwyck's name comes up more than once during the course of the story. I wanted to head out to Blockbuster and get some of the old films I hadn't seen or watch others again. I also loved learning more about this person named Cracked-Up Katie. Learning about her proved to me every person has a story to tell. I think some person once said we're walking novels, all of us. Ingrid is in the eighth grade. Boy, she's curious and not afraid to try and figure out what's going on around her. There is a huge estate named Prescott Hall. This place just added to the atmosphere. As Ingrid winds her way throughout town, going in empty houses, finding a dog to keep named Nigel, a huge cat, and meeting odd people the solution begins to unwind like old tapes thrown away in a bag. Near the end the story creeped me out. Of course, I'm easy to get spooked. By the way, Stephen King recommends "Down The Rabbit Hole" by Peter Abrahams. I loved this YA mystery too. I look forward to going back to Echo Falls or somewhere else with Peter Abrahams again in another book.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds fun! What a great read. I have been craving a good Alice in Wonderland type read lately.

    ReplyDelete